Our teeth work hard and are constantly under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. One of our jobs at Choose Your Smile in Kelowna is to use general dentistry to help our patients protect their teeth.
Sadly, enamel erosion is widespread, though largely preventable. Its chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are certain medications, teeth grinding, acid reflux, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Choose Your Smile, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and prevent future erosion if some has already transpired.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
- Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been worn away, it can’t be regenerated.
- According to the NIH, 41% of adolescents already have enamel erosion.
- Vigorous brushing can hurt enamel.
- Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as detrimental as sugared sodas.
- Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to do something about it. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been affected. Call Choose Your Smile in Kelowna. We provide general dentistry, orthodontics, and treat conditions like gum disease. Schedule an appointment with us today.
Contact Choose Your Smile – Dr. Stephen Malfair:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):