Dental implants from Love Your Smile in Kelowna are state-of-the-art, with a success rate in the area of ninety-eight percent. That number is a testament to implant technology. But like any medical or dental procedure, there are risks. In this post, we will consider possible complications of a dental implant.
- Infection. Any surgical procedure poses an infection risk. That’s why we often prescribe an antibiotic beforehand. Beginning the second day post-surgery, the implant site should also be rinsed with a salt water solution.
- Slow healing. A patient is more likely to experience slow healing if they have another medical condition. Possible conditions include gum disease, diabetes, cancer, alcoholism, or poor circulation due to smoking. We take preexisting conditions into account.
- Sinus problems. Upper implants are placed very close to the floor of the sinus. Because of this proximity, an implant can perforate the floor of the sinus cavity. This is rare.
- Implant failure. If an implant fails to integrate with the surrounding bone, it is usually due to insufficient blood supply. Teeth grinding, smoking, and the medical conditions discussed previously can impair blood circulation.
- Nerve damage. Nerve damage occurs in a very small percentage of implant procedures. Patients may have pain, tingling or numbness at the implant site.
An informed patient makes the best decisions, and at Love Your Smile in Kelowna we make sure every dental implant patient knows exactly what is involved. Patients from Mission, V1Y 8B7, and V1W 3C6 trust us with implants and other restorative dentistry procedures. Call us for an appointment today!
Contact Love Your Smile – Dr. Stephen Malfair:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):