Why Do I Need Teeth Cleanings?
As we eat and drink, some food is left behind on the gums and teeth and forms plaque. Because nobody brushes and flosses away these plaques with 100% effectiveness, some of this plaque will use calcium from the saliva to harden and stick itself to the teeth and under the gums on tooth roots.
This hardened plaque is called calculus and harbors up to 300 different species of bacteria in a structure you can’t clean off yourself. GROSS! This gets even worse; these bacteria can:
- Drive bone loss around the teeth. This often painless process is called periodontal disease and is responsible for half of all teeth lost in Canada.
- Contribute to bad breath.
- Breakdown products from the bacteria can enter the bloodstream and affect your heart, blood vessels, kidney function, make diabetes harder to control, and impact your general health.
These are lots of great health reasons for you to get your teeth cleaned on a regular basis. As if that isn’t enough, cleaning off the calculus can brighten your smile!
How Often Do I Need Cleanings?
At your initial Comprehensive Consultation with Dr. Malfair, your history, risks and the remaining bone surrounding your teeth will be assessed. A frequency interval for deep cleanings will be recommended. This interval will be based on your needs and will periodically be reassessed during the dental exam portion of certain recare visits.
So if we see changes for the worse or better, we can tailor our treatment to you!
Recare Visits in Kelowna
At recare visits, our highly trained hygienists will:
- Maintain the gums and bone around your teeth with a deep teeth cleaning.
- Remove the buildup of calculus and stains on your teeth.
- Help monitor your dental health, so any issues are caught early.
- Help reduce some sources of bad breath.
- Offer suggestions for improving your oral health.
Can we fix recession and make my gums look better?
It is much easier, better and less expensive to prevent bone loss and recession than trying to fix it after it occurs. Once recession and bone loss has occurred, we do have grafting and bone regeneration procedures available with Dr. Malfair and his specialist partners.
Let Dr. Malfair Help You Today!
Please contact us so we can get started helping you today!