Why Fix Your Child’s Teeth & Why Get Them Cleaned?
There are many reasons to get children’s teeth and baby teeth cared for even though these teeth will fall out eventually. Here are some:
- It is important that your child makes a relationship with a dentist and team BEFORE major work needs to be done.
- We can help make suggestions regarding diet and cleaning techniques and catch problems when they are small.
- Children’s teeth can still get cavities and infections. Baby teeth can get a tooth abscess too and hurt a lot.
- If cavities on baby teeth go unfixed, then the teeth may crowd into that space. This makes adult tooth crowding worse later and can make the orthodontic bill higher and treatment more difficult when the time comes.
- We can see when early orthodontics can help improve the later result and reduce the chance of needing healthy teeth removed for space or for jaw surgery.
When Should Your Child’s First Dentist Visit Be?
We recommend bringing in children for their first dentist visit just after they turn 1 year old. This is a “complimentary happy visit,” and it will be a fun ride on the chair. Basically, we will be introducing ourselves to your child and getting them comfortable.
Dr. Malfair is an expert in pediatric dentistry and will also assess the development of your child’s teeth, see how the teeth fit together, look for decay, and answer any questions you may have! A re-care appointment will be set up from that visit.
Moving forward, we offer orthodontics here in the office for most cases with great results! This keeps your trips coordinated and your costs down. In more complicated cases, Dr. Malfair will work with his specialist colleagues to find the right treatment for your child.
Start Your Child on the Path to Loving Their Smile
Your child will love it here at our Kelowna children’s dentistry office! We keep visits fun, entertaining, and educational. Call to schedule your child’s first appointment today.