- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a crown can get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as vital as your teeth.
- Some prescription drugs can increase your risk of cavities.
- Some home faucet water filters remove fluoride.
- 19 percent of youth between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated dental caries.
- Heartburn can be damaging for teeth.
- Allergies can cause tooth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as damaging for teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself though dentin and cementum (the substance that surrounds the tooth root) are capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team recently used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab. https://www.businessinsider.com/laser-stem-cell-tooth-tissue-regeneration-2014-5#ixzz3fzlosJDMTooth
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles on your teeth. You still need to brush, but if you can’t brush immediately after meals, sugarless gum can help keep your teeth clean.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth. Visit your dentist regularly to prevent cavities or at least to detect them when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
I am Dr. Stephen Malfair of Love Your Smile – Dr. Stephen Malfair. I hope you have found today’s post interesting and perhaps even learned something new about your amazing teeth and some of the lesser-known risk factors for decay.
I am accepting new patients at my Kelowna dental practice. I am dedicated to preventative dentistry and lifelong oral health. I advise my Kelowna patients about Cosmetic Dentistry, Dental Implants and Sedation Dentistry. In addition, I offer a full menu of cosmetic dental services. If you are seeking a dentist in the Kelowna area, I invite you to schedule an appointment to meet me and my caring team.
Contact Love Your Smile – Dr. Stephen Malfair:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
301-1890 Cooper Rd
Kelowna, British Columbia