If you are scheduled for cancer treatment due to a recent diagnosis or relapse, oral health is probably not your first priority. However, the team at Love Your Smile dentistry in Kelowna, we urge you to give some attention to your teeth to prevent or minimize common cancer-related dental complications.
According to research, cancer treatment often takes a heavy toll on dental health.
Common Complications of Chemotherapy and/or Radiation
- Inflammation of the mucous membranes
- Viral, bacterial, and fungal infections
- Mouth dryness (increases risk of cavities)
- Poor nutrition due to eating difficulties
- Mouth pain
- Oral bleeding
- Lifelong risk of tooth decay
- Loss of elasticity of masticatory muscles (may make opening mouth difficult)
- Bone recession due to decreased blood flow
- Tooth loss
We extend to our dental patients battling cancer our sincere hopes for your successful treatment.
At Love Your Smile in Kelowna, we wants to help you maintain oral health before, during, and after your cancer treatment. We offer comprehensive preventative and restorative dental services including general and cosmetic dentistry.
“Oral Complications of Cancer Treatment: What the Dental Team Can Do,” National Institutes of Health, https://www.nidcr.nih.gov/health-info/cancer-treatments, accessed on May 27, 2014
Contact Love Your Smile – Dr. Stephen Malfair:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
301-1890 Cooper Rd
Kelowna, British Columbia