Did you know that enamel is the hardest substance in the body? It’s true! Found on the outer surface of your teeth, enamel is meant to last a lifetime, and with the help of regular checkups at Love Your Smile in Kelowna, it can.
Enamel may be super strong, but you still have to do your part to take care of it. Here are some useful tips for keeping enamel healthy.
- Pick the right foods for enamel health. It’s no secret that soft drinks weaken your teeth, and don’t think that diet sodas are harmless – the artificial sweeteners can also erode enamel over time. There are also other culinary culprits that can do a lot of harm.
- Sticky, chewy candies should be avoided. Chewing ice is a no-no. And don’t use your teeth as tools. Take a minute to grab some scissors before you rip open that package with your incisors.
- Avoid vigorous brushing and use a soft brush. Also, it’s best to brush about an hour after eating, because foods, especially acidic ones, can soften the enamel, making it more prone to weakening from brushing.
- Keep stomach acids in check. If you have a problem with severe heartburn, the stomach acid could be traveling up your esophagus and into your mouth. This acid can erode enamel, so talk to your doctor about treatment.
- Talk to us about dry mouth and tooth grinding. Lack of saliva is a major issue for tooth enamel, and teeth grinding can also wear it down. Let us know if you suspect either of these issues.
At Love Your Smile in Kelowna we want the best possible dental health for all our patients. People from Mission, V1Y 8B7, and V1W 3C6 come to us for cosmetic and preventative dentistry and much more. Schedule your next checkup with us today!
Contact Love Your Smile – Dr. Stephen Malfair:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
301-1890 Cooper Rd
Kelowna, British Columbia