Unfortunately, gum disease is very common. It is also a treatable condition at Love Your Smile in Kelowna.
There are simple and very effective ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy. If you keep them healthy, you will only need to visit us for cleanings and checkups.
- Brush for two to three minutes, at least twice a day, with fluoridated toothpaste. Be sure to brush along the gumline. Brush away the particles of food. Don’t brush too hard, but be thorough.
- Floss daily to remove plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. It loosens the debris that always gets wedged in, along with any plaque that is building up.
- Although not a substitute for brushing and flossing, using a mouth rinse can halt plaque accumulation and keep your enamel strong. Remember that fluoride mouth rinses are not the same as mouthwashes. Mouthwashes have alcohol and are designed to freshen breath. (But they can exacerbate dry mouth which can cause other problems.)
- Eat a healthy diet. Starchy and sugary foods increase plaque. A sensible diet provides the nutrients needed (Vitamins A and C, in particular) to keep teeth and gums healthy.
- Skip cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, which may lead to oral cancer. That includes E-cigs and vapors.
- Be aware that certain medications can also threaten a healthy mouth. These include oral contraceptives, antidepressants and heart medicines. If your medications are affecting your dental health, let us know.
- Exercise preventive care and schedule regular checkups — the best way to detect early signs of gum disease and make a plan to reverse it.
- Talk to us about dental issues such as old, broken fillings or crowded teeth.
- If you grind your teeth, ask us about ways to guard them.
Contact Love Your Smile – Dr. Stephen Malfair:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):