In today’s post, we will focus on important behaviors that affect oral health. Of course, effective brushing and flossing are two important habits for healthy teeth, but there are many more things we can do to keep a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is necessary for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do enjoy calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are detrimental to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar generates the production of detrimental cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to tooth decay.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This revs up plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice. (It really can crack teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are detrimental to teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It is smarter to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, speak with Dr. Malfair about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your children fluoride supplements.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
- If you have an eating disorder – seek professional help right away. Bulimia and anorexia are extremely damaging to teeth. (Not to mention the toll they take on the heart and other organs.)
We encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that advances dental health as well as overall physical health. At Choose Your Smile – Dr. Stephen Malfair, we serve the Kelowna area with exceptional dental care including general and cosmetic dentistry. Ask us about Cosmetic Dentistry, Dental Implants, Sedation Dentistry and Teeth Whitening.
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):