“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Benjamin Franklin coined this phrase in the 1730s as advice for fire safety. However, like all timeless quotes, it applies to many more aspects of modern Kelowna life, particularly dental health.
Keeping your smile beautiful and healthy is done most effectively with preventative measures. Some of the most important guidelines are highlighted here.
1. Make a habit of brushing your teeth. Do it twice a day for 2 minutes. Be sure to use an ADA approved toothpaste and toothbrush. They can be purchased at any Kelowna, British Columbia area drugstore.
2. Don’t forget the floss! Flossing between your teeth daily will do wonders for your teeth and keep your gums healthy too.
3. Wear a protective mouthguard whenever you are engaged in an activity where your mouth could possibly be damaged. This includes many Kelowna recreation league and school sponsored sports.
4. Don’t smoke. As if you needed yet another reason not to!
5. Avoid piercing your lips, tongue, cheek, or any other part of your mouth that someone decided you should shove a metal bar through. Piercings put you at greater risk for chipped teeth, infection and nerve damage. It’s a dangerous Kelowna fashion that you’ll want to avoid.
6. Stay away from snacks that have a lot of sugar or starch.
7. Schedule regular dental visits, of course!
My name is Dr. Stephen Malfair. Helping my dental patients establish good habits is important to me, and so is helping them achieve the smile they want with cosmetic dentistry procedures such as veneers, teeth whitening and complete smile makeovers.
Love Your Smile – Dr. Stephen Malfair has been serving the Mission, V1Y 8B7, and V1W 3C6 area since 2004. If you are in the market for an exceptional dentist, we invite you to contact us at 250-860-8900 so we can make an appointment for you.
The following website was used as source material for this blog:
https://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/preteens-and-teens/, accessed on February 21, 2013
Contact Love Your Smile – Dr. Stephen Malfair:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):