Periodontal disease, commonly called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. At Love Your Smile in Kelowna, we are longtime advocates of preventative dentistry.
Here are five critical things you should know about gum disease:
- If left untreated, it can cause permanent damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing proper oral hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of tooth decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults have gum disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease produces no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
At Love Your Smile in Kelowna, we believe preventative dentistry is the best medicine. If you’re having any dental issues remembe we offer second opinions. Call for an appointment with us today!
Contact Love Your Smile – Dr. Stephen Malfair:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
301-1890 Cooper Rd
Kelowna, British Columbia